Tuesday Ten: 10 foods I want to integrate in my diet

I'm going to start a new feature here on Made From Scratch called the "Tuesday Ten" - each week I'll make a list of ten things related to frugal living, sustainability, or healthy living in general. Continuing my nutrition theme, this week it's ten foods I want to integrate into my diet.

Eating right is an evolutionary process for me. I feel like I eat well most of the time, but when I don't eat well, I really don't eat well. I've decided that I need to put more structure into my diet again, which means more meal planning. But that's a topic for another post. Here are ten foods that need to be in those meal plans:
  1. Sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of several vitamins, including vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, and copper. It's also a good source of dietary fiber and has powerful antioxidant properties, which help fight against free radicals, unstable atoms or molecules that damage other cells by stealing their electrons. Free radical damage can lead to cancer. How will I eat them? Maybe sliced up and baked or fried like chips, or baked and mashed with honey and a bit of brown sugar.
  2. Avocado. Avocados are a great source of potassium and folic acid. Potassium helps keep blood pressure low, while folic acid helps keep skin healthy. It also guards against anemia and decreases the risk of birth defects. How will I eat it? Besides making guacamole, avocados go great on salads. 
  3. Whole grains. I already eat almost exclusively whole grains - whole wheat bread, brown rice, oats - but the reason I'm singling it out is because I want to start using at least half whole grain flour in my baking, and I would like to start baking my own whole grain bread. The bread I buy (without any artificial ingredients) is $4 to $5 a loaf, and it would cost way less to make it myself. Whole grains are rich in fiber, b vitamins and iron. Eating adequate fiber can help with weight management because it keeps you fuller longer, and b vitamins are important for a healthy immune system. As a woman, it's imperative that I get enough iron in my diet. In addition to bread, rice, and oats, I also eat cereals high in whole grains (yeah... the expensive ones).
  4. Raisins. I've mostly overlooked raisins since childhood, but they're another good source of iron. They spice up oatmeal and bread and make a tasty and healthy snack on their own.
  5. Yogurt. The trick for me and yogurt is that it can't be plain - I've tried and I can't stomach it. So I'm going to have to find flavored yogurt without any artificial flavorings or added sugar. I'll edit this post when I find that elusive brand. The benefits of yogurt include those probiotics you hear so much about - active "good" bacteria that aid digestion and the immune system. In addition, since yogurt is dairy, there's a good helping of protein, calcium, and potassium, all in a low-calorie package. I'm going to try out yogurt for lunch, mixed with oatmeal and fresh fruit.
  6. Asparagus. Asparagus is full of vitamins and minerals. It's also an antioxidant and helps lower blood pressure. How will I eat it? Sauteed, steamed, or perhaps cut up and added to home-made pizza.
  7. Spinach. Spinach is a power vegetable. It's a low-calorie, nutrient-rich food, full of vitamin K, vitamin A, magnesium, folate, iron, calcium, vitamin C, vitamin B2, potassium, and vitamin B6. Spinach is a good source of protein, fiber, and even omega-3 fatty acids, which reduce inflammation and guard against heart disease, among other things. Omega-3s are also a big reason why number seven is...
  8. Fish. The reason I don't eat much fish is because it's expensive! But I want to try and eat fish at least once every other week. Salmon is my favorite kind of fish which has a lot of omega-3s, but tuna and other small oily fish also fit the bill. Try to avoid eating big fish like shark or swordfish, as they can contain high levels of mercury. Fish makes a great main dish, with rice or pasta and a salad. Speaking of salads, salmon salads are yummy (with spinach - hey!), as well as tuna sandwiches for lunch.
  9. Blueberries. Blueberries are a great antioxidant, and studies have also shown they can help preserve vision and short-term memory loss. But I don't want to get too specific here...
  10. Fruit! Fruit is amazing. It's nature's candy, and there's no better way to satisfy your sweet tooth than with fresh fruit. Fruit is full of vitamins and nutrients and works especially well on an empty stomach, so it's a good choice for breakfast. Some of my fruit favorites that I want to eat regularly: bananas, oranges (I love making fresh orange juice for breakfast on the weekends!), strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, pineapple, grapes.
Of course, I left out tons of delicious and healthy vegetables and other items, but I only wanted to include those foods that I'm not already eating a lot of. Most of the things on this list are relatively expensive compared to other things I could be eating, particularly the fruit. But as my mom always says, expensive compared to what? If I can start substituting fruit for dessert, homemade sweet potato chips for tortilla chips - you get my drift, my diet will be ten times better and I know I'll feel healthier and have much more energy.

The main sacrifice that eating well requires is preparation time, not money. After logging every thing I buy at the grocery store for five months, I spend far less on fruits, vegetables and dairy than dry foods and eating out. All it takes is the will power to cook and plan ahead, which I try to cultivate every day, with varying success. But the more you cook, the more fun it becomes, and I look forward to adding these ten foods to my meals!

Photo credit: Flickr user Darwin Bell.

0 comments: