Meat Pie


Several weeks ago now, when the weather was typically Seattle dreary, I decided a warm hearty dinner would be just the thing. I made a meat pie for the first time ever, and it was delicious. I definitely have to make them more often. I even made the pie crust from scratch! I found the recipes for the pie crust and the pie online, and I made some changes to the pie recipe. Next time I make it I'll use three potatoes instead of two.

All-butter pie crust
  • 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp granulated sugar
  • 1 cup cold unsalted butter
  • 3 to 6 T ice water
Combine flour, salt and water in a medium bowl. I found that it worked best to grate the butter into the bowl with my cheese crater and turn until combined. Sprinkle 6 T of ice water over the mixture and, using a rubber spatula, fold to mix. [Note: I could not get it to mix well enough this way, and ended up having to knead it with my hands to get it to come together]

Flour your hands and rolling pin generously. Divide the dough into two balls and flatten each into a 4-inch disk. Wrap both separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour before rolling.

This crust was extremely rich and delicious, and though it cracked at the edges when I rolled it out, I was still able to fit it into my 9'' pie pan.

Savory Meat Pie

Ingredients
  • 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 1/4 lb ground beef
  • 1 chicken breast
  • 3/4 cup sliced green onions
  • 1 large carrot, finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
  • Pinch ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
  • 1/4 cup chili sauce
  • 1 Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon milk
Directions
  1. In a saucepan, cook potatoes in boiling water until tender; mash and set aside. Meanwhile, in a skillet, brown the beef; drain. Stir in the next nine ingredients. Simmer for 4-5 minutes. Stir in potatoes, parsley and chili sauce; remove from the heat. Place bottom pastry in a 9-in. pie plate; brush with mustard. Add the meat mixture. Top with remaining pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut slits in the top crust. Brush with milk. Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F. Bake 25 minutes longer or until golden brown.

0 comments: