A Mexican food-inspired week

This week was all about Mexican food, which is probably my favorite kind. I could eat it every day, and indeed, this week I did. This first meal was inspired by a similar entree at Red Robin.

Dish 1: pico de gallo grilled chicken breast

First off, I made fresh pico de gallo. It was the first time I've ever made salsa, and everything was to taste. Here's a rough recipe:
  • 2 off-the-vine tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • lime juice from 1 lime
  • cilantro to taste
Mix everything together and enjoy!

After that was done I sprinkled two chicken breasts with chili powder and cumin and grilled them on my George Foreman grill, which literally takes about five minutes. I cooked a box of Spanish rice as a side dish, and served the chicken breast with pico de gallo over the top, crushed tortilla chips, and extra lime juice.


Dish 2: beef taco salad

My mom has a friend who raises cows, and every year she buys part of a cow from her. The beef we get is the most delicious I've ever had. This year my mom gave me some ground beef, which I used to make taco salad, and then had in tacos for the next couple of nights.

I cooked the ground beef with half an onion and liberal amounts of chili powder and cumin. When it was done I dished it out on top of a bed of lettuce and added crushed tortilla chips, shredded Monterrey jack cheese, and leftover salsa. I also had leftover Spanish rice.

0 comments: